Museum Centre « Les Bateliers » / Decorative Arts Museum of Namur

Between 1751 to 1753, the Belgian architect Jean-Baptiste Chermane built the Mansion for Count Alexandre-François de Groesbeeck. The building is divided into three wings in a H-shape and the central body contains some relics from the 17th century refuge of the abbey at Villiers.

The Town bought the de Groesbeeck-de Croix Mansion in 1935; it features the entire span of different styles of decorating prevailing during the 18th Century. The wainscoting on the walls is decorated with simple geometric moulds and sometimes colour is used to highlight it. These panels might frame tapestries depicting rural landscapes and woodlands (hence the name forest scenery), small romantic pictures (boudoir), linen fabric with floral and rockwork designs, hanging embrossed panels of golden leather (Antechamber of the main drawing room and the above mentioned leather room) and even an example of vintage wallpaper (small room).


Paid guided tours are possible for groups of 12 to 25 people for 2 hours max.

LPeople with specific needs

The ground floor and the exteriors are accessible to people with reduced mobility.

1 B

Practical information

Museum Centre « Les Bateliers » / Decorative Arts Museum of Namur

Joseph Saintraint, 7
5000 NAMUR

  • Discounts for vulnerable peoplelabel velo