Verviers Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics
One of the most beautiful Belgian collections of ceramics
The Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics was founded in 1884 in the former “New Hospital” (1661) by Jean-Simon Renier, painter, historian and collector. He donated engravings, paintings, ceramics and sculptures to the city of Verviers. At the end of the 19th century, Verviers was a wool city at the height of its industrial power and wealth, and some industrial art lovers gathered collections in the light of their fortunes, sometimes with the precious advice of Renier. Shortly after his death and thanks to his numerous bonds of friendship, the institution enriched itself with extraordinary legacies in importance and quality: those of Jospeh Deru (Belgian paintings of the nineteenth century), Pierre Hauzeur (old paintings) and his wife Blanche Hauzeur de Simony (ceramics). These donations were an addition to those of Renier and remain the basis of the current suspension. On the one hand, they offer a real panorama of European painting from the 15th to the 20th century, and on the other, they form one of the most remarkable ceramic collections in Belgium.
Chinese porcelain, German or Austrian productions, Brussels dinner sets, blue or polychrome Dutch Delftware, sandstone from Raeren, pieces from Andenne or from Strasbourg …
Modern art is by no means neglected and some rooms are devoted to the intimate Verviers school, the figurative contemporary and the non-figurative.
The Museums also organize temporary exhibitions, school or other events.
Opening: Wednesday until Sunday from 1 pm to 5 pm
People with specific needs
Not accessible to people with reduced mobility